Friday, October 22, 2010

Merry Christmas Charlie Brown

A few years ago we were at Blockbuster around Christmas time. We could not find the Christmas movie we were looking for, so we ended up checking out Merry Christmas Charlie Brown. I could not remember much about the video, and I was not sure if the boys would like it or not. My fears were quickly however as they started to watch it. They began to life harder than I had ever heard them laugh. They found this simple , no nonsense , old fashioned video to be hilarious.

As I sat down to watch it, I was pleasantly surprised. Not only was it entertaining my kids rather well, but it actually had a pretty solid biblical message as well. The whole point about how the Christmas season was too commercialized rang very true with me. I also loved the point where Charlie Brown in frustration asks if anyone knows what the real meaning of Christmas is. The oh so wise Linus responds by quoting the true Christmas story from Luke 2.

At one point Lucy sends out Charlie Brown to find a Christmas tree. She wants a shiny, pink, aluminum one. He brings back this small , scraggly, live tree. Everyone is furious with him, and he leaves in disgust. It epitomizes his desire to bring something true and real to Christmas despite everyone else's desire to have it be artificial and materialistic.

Fast forward to last night when I was at a grocery store. Before my astonished eyes, I saw it. A small , red box with a picture of a Christmas tree on it, and the words Merry Christmas Charlie Brown on the box. Some marketing guru came up with the ideas to mass produce an artificial replica of the Charlie Brown Christmas tree. Are they serious? Wasn't the whole point to show how unnecessary all the fake decorations and commercialization are? Weren't people supposed to understand that Christmas was about celebrating the birth of a baby King who was born in Bethlehem over 2000 yrs ago? That it does not require a lot of money and hoopla to celebrate HIS birth, but simply a servant's heart.

There are so many ways to celebrate the Holy day ( holiday) season. Why is it a prerequisite to be stressed and spend lots of money? I am not against decorations or gift giving if done in a good spirit. If it becomes stressful and the source of angst and ill will, then why do it? Personally I think people of any religion would be a lot better off simply to find something which they can do to help others and do that wholeheartedly. If it helps them in the process, then all the better. I don't know.

I do know that I want to spend quality time with my family this season, and I want to teach them to serve others. And I do not need to buy an artificial Charlie Brown tree to do that.

No comments: