Tuesday, April 26, 2011

It ain't easy being green

Ok, I am not Kermit the Frog, but I still kind of feel that way sometimes. It seems as if so many things that I believe in and hold dear are outside the realm of "normalcy" whatever that is.
Most people assume that the best place for a birth to take place is a hospital. I believe otherwise. Most people believe that kids need the socialization and mom needs a break , so you should send the kids off to public school. I believe God gave me these kids for a reason and it wasn't to send them off for someone else to raise. Most people believe that kids "need" fashionable clothes and the latest electronic gadgets. I believe kids can entertain themselves by playing in the yard and consignment sales are wonderful ways to get inexpensive clothes. Most people think that letting kids watch several hours of tv a day is ok, after all its gets them out of moms hair so she can make dinner. Though I do allow my kids to watch certain tv shows on the Internet, I am very picky about what they are allowed to watch. My eventual goal is to wean them off of the internet tv shows. Most people assume that if your child has a minor illness you cart them off to the ER or drs office for some medicine. I would rather try natural things like fresh fruit, herbal remedies, and aromatherapy. Most people see nothing wrong with frozen dinners, occassional fast food, and processed meals. I dream of going completely organic, though I am still a long ways from getting there.
I honestly never set out to be so unconventional. Its just seems that this is the lifestyle that suits my family. Its the style of parenting that makes sense to me. Though it is difficult when it seems as if you are constantly going against the "norm" , I know that it is what God has called me to. I know that this is the right thing for my family. I love my family and I am constantly striving to find ways to be a better wife and mom. Though I am a long way from reaching my goals, I will striving toward the mark that has been set before me. I know God is right there helping me and cheering me on.
Thankfully, in the last few years He has given me a strong support network of people with similar ideals and values about childbirth and parenting issues. People who consider it "normal" to breastfeed, baby wear, and co sleep with a toddler. People who believe that kids are a blessing and debt is a burden not the other way around. People who see nothing wrong with having 4 or 5 kids, who adopt kids with special needs and kids of different races. Its still frustrating to constantly see so much negative media attention given to these parenting practices which are out of the mainstream. Yet I know God has allowed me to have the experiences I have had for a reason and I intend to learn and grow from them. Even if many people treat me like I am a purple polka dotted monster with two heads,, oh well so be it. There is only one name that someone can call me that will get a response from me. That name is "mommy", and I count it pure joy to be entrusted with their problems, dreams, worries, goals, and achievements. It ain't easy being green , but it is so worth it.

No comments: