Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Year's Resolution

I don't usually do New Year's Resolutions but this year I made some promises to myself ( and my family) and since it just happenend to be around New Year's I decided to call them New Year's Resolutions. First of all, we ARE going to eat healthier, not a diet, just some very gradual subtle lifestyle changes. Things like cutting out enriched flour, frozen pizzas, and sugary drinks. We will eat more whole grains, more fruits, and vegetables, and healthier protein foods (ie turkey, chicken, etc). Second , we will exercise more ( or in mine and Brian's case just have some exercise). I bought a nice , used exercise bike for $50 from a friend. Brian and I try to bike at least 5 miles a day on it. Its not much , but its more than what we were doing . Third I am going to try to be more polite to people in general. My kids and husband probably need it from me the most , but everyone can benefit from a polite and respectful attitude which is kind of hit and miss with my attitude. Fourth , clearer communication between myself and others. I will stay focused, not be distracted by tangents and make sure the other party understands the message I am trying to convey. If there are misunderstandings I will address the person instead of another friend to whom I feel like venting my problems . Fifth and most important I will become serious and devoted to prayer and Bible reading. I will become a true student, disciple , follower, lover of my Lord and Saviour. I will delight in his fellowship on a regular basis ( vs shallow interactions via Facebook, and most emails, and a lot of telephone calls). And sixth I will encourage my family to join with me in this journey. It will not be easy or fun, but if taken slowly and deliberately I think most can be accomplished by next year. There are more goals but that is enough for now.

No comments: