Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Hope Floats

I remember a Sandra Bullock movie that came out in the 90's with the title Hope Floats. I watched the movie and it was a good though very sad movie . For many years after I watched it though, I didn't understand the movie's title. After having experienced some of what life has to offer, I am starting to understand it.
Oftentimes I become frustrated with my circumstances, and my seeming inability to change them or even my role in them. I generally become discouraged, angry, sullen, and even withdrawn. Depression seems like my closest friend during these periods. Yet when I am so low that it seems like nothing will ever change or become better, it does. Usually its just a tiny insignificant thing which occurs, but it in some way or another is an answer to prayer. A gift, an encouraging word, a smile, a hug, an evening with a special friend, it always comes when I need it the most.
I cannot count the times when I would cry out to God in deep grief saying that no one cares about me. It would be then that my phone would ring , my best friend who lives out of state would be calling me. Or one time I actually wrote in my journal that even though I knew God loved me , I couldn't feel His Love. I was in a coffee shop and a perfect stranger who was passing by stopped, looked at me and said, "God wants me to tell you that He loves you. " She then sat down and talked to me for about 30 minutes. I still cry when I think of it. He finds so many wonderful , creative ways to show His love to His children.
And I guess maybe that is why, everytime my spirit sinks down inside of me, it still manages to somehow find its way back to the surface. Find its way back to living, dreaming, loving, creating, and forgiving. Hope floats.
.
.

2 comments:

Cozy Home Cottage said...

Thank you, Amy! I needed that! I go through so much of the same things in my life. I have often felt alone and that is when God reminds me that He is there and that He will provide my every need. God bless you and your family, you are all special to us, though I might not say it often. We are still trying to get more active in getting out with other homeschoolers, but I am just such a homebody. Hope to see you and the kids some this spring and summer at play dates.
((HUGS))
Charlotte

my5guyzandme said...

Glad it you got something our of it Charlotte. I truly enjoy blogging, and I really think its what God would rather I spent my time on. Facebook is so much fun, but i think blogging is probably more fruitful in the long run, And yes we need to get together for a playdate sometime.