Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Heroes or Villians?

I just put the baby to bed again. He is developing a bad habit of not wanting to sleep during the night. I know he is not quite a year, but he is already showing signs of ADHD. Scary!
But the real reason I am blogging at 6 am instead of cuddling with my sleep deprived, wife deprived husband is to figure out something that has been troubling me for a while. My dear friend who has 4 kids said something that made me say "aha". Her 14 yr old dear son, said that he always wanted to be the hero but he feels like the villian most of the time. I keep thinking , yeah, don't most kids want to feel like heroes . They want to be the good guy who helps out and saves everybody from some horrible thing. Too often they re made to feel like the bad guy who never does anything right. My 7 yr old is often made to feel like the villian; he even calls himself a bully when he is in a bad mood. The question I am trying to figure out though, is how do we make our kids feel like a hero? I don't mean let them run over top of us and give them whatever they want. I mean how do we instill a sense of value and self worth in them amidst all the daily bustle and grind. I want to be the patient mom who calmly explains how to make macaroni and cheese . The mom who encourages and says positive things instead of yelling and belittleling. I am praying to God to help me and I know he will. I just wish there was some forum where moms could say," hey look I did something right today, want to hear about it?" Moms are such a great source of creativity and inspiriation. It just seems too easy to get caught up in laundry, dishes, sweeping, changing the baby's diapers, cooking meals, running errands, etc. I know that if it is to work, it must be an intentional thing. It just seems that all of my great ideas involve time and money which I rarely have enought of both as it is. I know it is so important though to catch them now while they are still young enough to be caught doing good things. I know my kids are heroes, how do I convey that to them? Stay tuned for the sequel to heroes part 1.

No comments: